Some people would argue that savoring nature requires you to leave all material possessions at home. While others—most of us—could use a little help from technology when traversing in the wilderness. Luckily, a number of mobile apps are designed to enhance our experiences in the great outdoors.
Whether you’re a hiker, skier, nature lover, or someone who doesn’t want to venture far from home, check out these apps to help you enjoy your next outdoor adventure!
- Hit the trails—If hiking is your outdoor activity of choice, the EveryTrail app can offer route maps and travel tips. This free app provides maps with marked points of interest, photos, audio guides, and travel logs from a variety of travelers all over the world.
- Treasure hunt—Geocaching is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure, and with the Geocaching Toolkit app, the tech savvy can really enjoy this exciting and thought-provoking outdoor activity. One player hides a “treasure,” while the others figure out how to find it by using a series of clues, puzzles, and calculations from the app.
- Exploring and identifying nature—For all the naturalists out there, who enjoy relaxing in the wilderness by spotting wildlife, flowers, and plants, the MyNature Animal Tracks app and MyNature Tree Guide app are a must. These convenient North American field guides are filled with information on wildflowers, trees, animal tracks, and more to keep you entertained for hours outside.
- Choosing a location—Need help choosing which national park you should go and explore first? Chimani National Parks can help you decide. This free app provides useful information, up-to-date news, and photos of all the national parks. It also offers individual apps for many of the top parks, including hiking trails, audio tours, points of interest, and a GPS feature.
- Relax and unwind—After a long day of hiking, scavenging, and exploring, there’s no better activity to engage in than some simple stargazing. With the great Star Walk – 5 Stars Astronomy Guide app, stargazing is both relaxing and enhanced.
Enjoying the outdoors can be easy and affordable. Make the most out of your next outdoor adventure by downloading these cool, new apps.
If your current phone doesn’t support the best outdoors apps, you can sell your phone with NextWorth and upgrade to the device you need.